HI FROM EDINBURGH!
It’s been a year and a half since I moved back to Toronto from Scotland and my heart has been yearning to come back ever since. The streets are still familiar to me; wandering around, I feel more at home than lost. It’s almost like I never left. I stopped in Leo’s Beanery for breakfast this morning and was happy and surprised that Josie, one of the lovely ladies who works there, still remembered me. Two years ago I wrote a post gushing about Leo’s Beanery after my first visit, and I went so frequently that everyone who worked there began to recognize me, even though I lived an hour outside of Edinburgh. I’m planning on making a little guide to all my favourite places in the city, so keep your eyes peeled. Edinburgh is a beautiful, old city filled with cozy nooks and crannies and it would be a shame to not share them with you.
In the meantime, here’s a recipe for a vegan apple crumble oatmeal. This recipe first appeared on the blog back when I was living in Scotland, as the climate here is perfect and perhaps even made for oatmeal. Oatmeal was my go to breakfast, and I remember going to bed on stormy evenings dreaming of the porridge I would make in the morning. And each morning, the warmth of my oats would brighten up the darkness and dreariness that was wintertime in Scotland.
This week in food and sustainability:
- As Big Food Feels Threat Of Climate Change, Companies Speak Up via NPR
- Scotland To Prohibit GMO Crops via TIME
- 5 Important Developments From The Paris Climate Summit via Grist
- Sourcing Food Ethically Is A Huge Challenge For My Startup via Fast Company
- Tackling Climate Change and Fighting Hunger Should Go Hand-In-Hand via FoodTank
VEGAN APPLE CRUMBLE OATMEAL
Yields 2 servings.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups cashew milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, or to taste
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 apple, cored and chopped into cubes
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon cashew milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- Chop the apples and toss with the coconut sugar. Set aside.
- In a pot, bring the water and cashew milk to a boil. Add the oats and season with the salt, vanilla, and cinnamon. Reduce the heat and allow the oats to simmer until tender, around 20-25 minutes.
- While the oats are cooking, melt the coconut oil in a pan and sauté the apples. Add the cashew milk and apple cider vinegar and cook. In a separate pan, toast the almonds and rolled oats. When the apples begin to soften, add the almonds and oats and.
- When the oats are done, add the maple syrup and sweeten to taste. Top with the crumble.
Your edible plant enthusiast,