I’m writing this on Wednesday, which means we’ve made it halfway through the work week. Have you hit a mid-week slump yet? I know I have, but Friday is just around the corner and I have a nice, take-it-easy recipe for you today: vegan hazelnut lattes.
A few years ago, my sister went through a hazelnut latte phase. Every time we walked pass a certain coffee chain (you know, the one with a green logo and infamous for misspelling names…) we’d walk in so she could have her hazelnut latte fix. When Toronto’s first Nutella café opened last week, I couldn’t help but think of her. That, and cycling past a café with a giant sign advertising Nutella lattés in Kensington Market. These darlings are just ordinary hazelnut lattes, but you could always get fancy by using Nutella instead – I’ve included my vegan nutella/chocolate hazelnut spread below. This recipe is also inspired by an Italian café I visited in Cambridge. On their coffee menu was a pistachio latte, which came highly recommended by the Italian barista behind the counter. The latte was made by incorporating pistachio nut butter into their coffee, and it was everything I thought nut butter in its hot, caffeinated form would taste like: thick, dreamy, melty. I can only hope to deliver the same experience to you with these vegan hazelnut latttes – no gross syrup, just real hazelnut butter and hazelnut milk.
Of course, I enjoyed these lattes with a slice of toast spread with vegan nutella and bananas. YUM.
To make your own hazelnut butter, simply roast hazelnuts at 325ºF/162ºC for 10-15 minutes until they are fragrant and their skins begin to shed. Remove the skins by rubbing the hazelnuts together in a linen or towel. Place the hazelnuts in a food processor and process until you reach your desired consistency.
VEGAN HAZELNUT LATTES
If you don’t have an espresso maker but still want to enjoy a hazelnut latte, just make your coffee as you normally would. Whisk the hazelnut butter into your coffee and top with 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup frothed hazelnut milk. That is how I made these the first time and they were delicious!
- 2 shots espresso
- 2 1/2 cups hazelnut milk
- 3 tablespoons homemade or store-bought hazelnut butter or nutella
- maple syrup, to taste
- Prepare the espresso. Heat 1 1/2 cups of the hazelnut milk on the stove top, and whisk the hazelnut butter into the milk until well incorporated. Pour the espresso into two mugs and pour 3/4 cup of the hazelnut milk mixture into each cup. Sweeten to taste and enjoy with toast, a biscuit, or a slice of cake.
HOMEMADE VEGAN NUTELLA
- 1 2/3 cup hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- nut milk or oil, as needed
- pinch of salt- just to bring the flavour out ;)
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF/162ºC. Roast the hazelnuts for 10-15 minutes until fragrant and their skins begin to shed. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool. Remove the skins by rubbing the hazelnuts together in a linen or towel.
- Place the hazelnuts into a food processor and pulse. Add the cacao, maple syrup, and salt, and process for a few minutes. Add nut milk or oil if necessary.
Your edible plant enthusiast,