New Changes + A Hearty Fall Bowl With Curry Roasted Butternut Squash and Aubergines

hearty fall bowl with curry roasted vegetables, lentils, wheatberries, and massaged kale in a spicy dijon dressing // gratitude and greens // #vegan #plantbased #fall #recipeHeeeey friends!

I just wanted to let you know that the blog is getting a makeover. Remember how, in my last post, I mentioned that I wanted to do more with food policy and education? I’ve been aching to expand and change this space into one more focused on food matters and sustainability, and I’ve finally decided to make the transition. It’s a scary jump to make, mostly because this space was a “food blog” in every sense of the word: I created recipes, photographed them, and shared them. This progression towards becoming a different kind of food blog, however, feels very natural and I am excited to turn Gratitude and Greens into a food and sustainability blog. I’ll still share recipes every now and then, but I’m going to spend more time writing and sharing pieces focused on food and sustainability. I hope many of you will stick around while I make this transition, but if not, thank you for having read the blog anyway!

This revelation came to me after I went for tea and cake with my friend Margaret, who is brilliantly clever and my brain is always buzzing after having a conversation with her. We used to be coordinators of the local Greenpeace group at our university and while I haven’t been as active in my environmental activism as I would like to be, I’m beginning to get back into it through volunteering with Greenpeace once again and, I hope, by writing on the blog.

Onto today’s recipe: a hearty fall bowl with lentils, wheatberries, massaged kale, and curry roasted veggies. Winter squash is a favourite of mine during the colder seasons, as it is starchy and filling, and just looking at it makes me feel so much cozier. The curry roasted vegetables are comforting, the lentils and wheatberries are chewy and tender. As for the kale, I felt that it was necessary to balance out all the starchy goodness with some greens. All of this is dressed in a salty, sweet, and spicy maple dijon with a pinch of cayenne and chilli that adds just the right amount of zing. It’s hearty and wonderful to eat on a blustery winter day… especially if you live in Canada and have to survive a Canadian winter.

hearty fall bowl with curry roasted vegetables, lentils, wheatberries, and massaged kale in a spicy maple dijon dressing // gratitude and greens // #vegan #plantbased #fall #recipe

A HEARTY FALL BOWL
Serves 2.

• 1 1/2 cup butternut squash, chopped
  • 1 cup aubergine, chopped
  • 1/2 cup lentils, soaked overnight
  • 1/2 wheatberries, soaked overnight
  • 2 cups torn or shredded curly kale
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 bay leaf
  • sea salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

For the dressing:

• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
  • 1 tablespoon raw honey or maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
  • sea salt, to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 205ºC/400ºF. In a mixing bowl, toss the butternut squash and aubergine with the curry powder, 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Pop them in the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes.
  2. Prepare the grains and legumes. Drain the lentils and wheatberries, and bring 2 1/4 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the lentils, wheatberries, bay leaf, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Season to taste and cook for 20 minutes, until they are tender.
  3. In a medium bowl, massage the kale with the olive oil until the leaves begin to soften. To prepare the dressing, mix the olive oil, mustard, maple syrup/honey, and apple cider vinegar/lemon juice together in a small bowl. Add the spices, salt, pepper, and whisk together.
  4. Scoop the wheatberries and lentils into a bowl along with the butternut squash, aubergine, and kale. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.

Happy fall!
Your edible plant enthusiast,

<< vegan meringue nests with rosemary + olive oil soaked plums

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Subscribe

1. Sus // roughmeasures.com
    October 25, 2015

Hell yeah! This is a great idea, the world needs to be more aware of sustainability! I’m excited to see your future posts even more so now G.
    Good luck on the transition, I’m sure it will be all kinds of awesome.
    This bowl looks so cosy! X

October 25, 2015

I’m so excited!!! That’s exactly what I love and am passionate about!!! I can’t wait dear!!! xoxoxoxoxoxo

3. Kathryn @ The Scratch Artist
    October 25, 2015

I’ve loved all of your recipes Gen and I’m looking forward to seeing what you do next. Food and sustainability is such a huge topic, I am eager to read what you have to share. I always love those first days/weeks of starting a new endeavor. The possibilities and ideas seem endless. I hope you enjoy this time.
    xo

4. Carter
    October 25, 2015

It’s 9pm and I already ate dinner, but I’ve just dropped everything to write up a grocery list so I can have this tomorrow for dinner. For real.

I’ve really enjoyed your recipes on the blog so far (…see above), and I’m looking forward to seeing what you have in store for the future of this space, Gen!

October 31, 2015

Aw, thank you so much Carter! You are too, too sweet and I hope you enjoyed the bowl. Hope you are doing well! xo

5. danielle is rooting the sun
    October 25, 2015

genevieve this is perfect, and i fully support your transition to express topics i find to be absolutely important. sustainability is something that we strive for in our everyday life, and more specifically in our farming and gardening practices. it will be a valuable treat to follow along with your journalism on such aspects. this bowl is undeniably autumnal and the flavors are spot on. i wish you so very well! ♥

6. Rebecca
    October 25, 2015

Gen, I love that you are pursuing your interest in sustainability and food policy and am looking forward to reading what you share. We need so many more people who are knowledgeable in both AND know how to cook good food! For years I went back and forth about pursuing more education in food policy, and though I teach sustainability from day to day, I inevitably tended away from the policy interest. It’s one that needs so many more passionate and knowledgeable folks. I cannot wait to hear as you share more of what you’re doing and learning. :)

7. Sarah | Well and Full
    October 25, 2015

Ahhh Gen I’m so excited for you!! I’m so stoked to see what you write about sustainability!! I think that this field is going to just keep getting bigger and more important as people are becoming more aware about environmentalism. You go girl!!!

8. Jodi
    October 26, 2015

Gen, I just love this. Of course I’ll stick around, can’t wait for the newt posts now. Thanks for having the courage to stand up for what you believe in, I’m excited to learn more from you and see where this all takes you. Congratulations, way to follow your heart x

9. Sydney | Modern Granola
    October 26, 2015

I’m so excited for you! I can’t wait to learn more about sustainability. Your taste is wonderful (just look at that gorgeous fall bowl!) so I know this next chapter is going to be incredible!
    xx Sydney

10. dixya | food, pleasure, and health
    October 26, 2015

Gen
    this is a wonderful idea..im always so happy to read your post and cant wait to see the makeover :)

11. Jessie Snyder | Faring Well
    October 26, 2015

Aw yay! Stoked for your new transition, love love love this topic and am excited to see all you do <3

12. Liora (Allthingsloveli)
    October 29, 2015

This looks so delicious, and totally something I would make for dinner. So excited to see your new makeover, I recently watched this movie on youtube and when I read your post it made me think you might like it- Its called One Man, One Cow, One Planet.. very inspirational! it.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1201582/

13. Bianca @ ElephantasticVegan
    October 29, 2015

The fall bowl looks so comforting and perfect! It includes everything I love: butternut squash, lentils & aubergines. I’m excited for the changes you’ll be making to the blog and looking forward to reading more about sustainability!

14. Sofie @ sofiesfood
    October 30, 2015

This looks both very healthy and delicious!
    xx, Sofie

15. VB
    October 30, 2015

We stumbled upon your blog reading some madison, wi reviews on zomato :). Looks like we caught you at the beginning of new chapter. Wish you look and also enjoyed the recipe and look forward to reading more. as a small question searched for aubergine in the bowl based on title but also could not find it in the recipe! :)

October 30, 2015

Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by! The aubergine is listed in the ingredients underneath the butternut squash :)

16. Christine // my natural kitchen
    November 1, 2015

I’m looking forward to seeing how this space changes and learning from you Gen! xo

November 14, 2015

Thank you so much Christine! Hope you are doing well! xo

17. Audrey @ Unconventional Baker
    November 6, 2015

Ooh… looks so cozy! Definitely a Canadian must-make ;) Can’t wait to see the blog changes — how exciting!

18. This Week In Food and Sustainability: 10/30/2015 - 11/6/2015
    November 7, 2015

[…] you guys! I was blown away by the kind comments and the support some of you showed me on my last two blog posts about the blog’s transition towards a space more focused on food + sustainability. […]

19. Sonali- The Foodie Physician
    November 12, 2015

This looks wonderful! It really epitomizes autumn flavors in one lovely bowl, and that dressing sounds so flavorful :)

November 14, 2015

Thank you Sonali! Your cookbook is great, I’m excited to share a recipe from it this week! xo

20. Molly
    January 11, 2016

I’m so glad that I found your blog! I have made a huge shift in my thinking, eating, purchasing, and essentially lifestyle with sustainability in mind. I can’t wait to follow along with your new posts!

January 13, 2016