Maple Tempeh Sandwiches

maple tempeh sandwiches with cashew cheese and caramelized onions + apples // gratitude and greens // #vegan #vegetarian #plantbased #recipeHello from the West Coast! I’m sitting in Heart Roasters enjoying a coffee while I write this post, but when you read this post, I’ll be on a road trip from Portland to San Francisco with stops to go camping and exploring around the California Redwoods and Big Sur.

Today’s post is a special one: it’s for my friend Jodi of Happy Hearted Kitchen. Today, a few of us bloggers are gathering online to share maple-themed recipes to celebrate her homecoming to Canada with her now Canadian husband, Matt. Welcome home, Jodi!!!

Here are all the other wonderful maple-themed #welcomehomeHHK recipes. You can also check out all the recipes by searching the hashtag #welcomehomeHHK on social media :)

A few things you should know about Jodi: she’s a fellow Canadian and vegetable lover, and is the talented writer and photographer behind Happy Hearted Kitchen. I first found her blog a while back, when I was still in university, and have been frequenting it since. I am always blown away by the candor in which she writes and tells her stories, which are always accompanied by vibrant, vegetable focused recipes. When I emailed to say hello at the beginning of this year, I was happy to discover that she is just as warm in person (in correspondence?) as she is on the blog.

Something else Jodi and I have in common: figuring out how to live in the same country as your other half. Many months ago, she wrote about her and Matt’s struggle to get him a Canadian visa. The post hit close to home and was heartbreaking for me to read, because I know painful and frustrating it can be when all you want is to live in the same place and build a life with your other half. “Love, chocolate, and a positive attitude—it gets you through!” is what she responded with when I told her that I was, pretty much, in the same boat as her. Love, chocolate, and a positive attitude do, indeed, keep me going whenever I think about the difficulty of not being able to live in the same place as my other half.

With that said, Jodi– I am over the moon for you!!! Welcome home. I hope Matt likes very cold winters, haha! I also hope Matt likes maple syrup, because there’s a lot of it here ;)

In honour of Jodi’s homecoming to Canada, I decided to make a maple tempeh sandwich, because maple tempeh is pure deliciousness. In fact, maple syrup and a bit of tamari is my favourite way to enjoy tempeh. I like to top salads or avocado toast with maple tempeh, but this time I decided to mix it up and put it in a sandwich between two slices of sourdough bread, on top of cashew cheese and under caramelized onions and apples. This sandwich is the perfect balance of sweet and savoury, and is truly delicious. Like, the holy moly kind. You’ll have more caramelized onions and apples than you need, but they are so good I highly doubt you’ll struggle with finishing them.

VEGAN MAPLE TEMPEH SANDWICHES WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS + APPLES AND CASHEW CHEESE
Yields 2 servings.

• 420 grams/ 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 215 grams / 1 1/2 apple, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt to season the onions and apples, to taste
  • one block of tempeh, sliced – I used around 70g for two sandwiches
  • 5 tablespoons / 1/3 cup tamari soy sauce
  • 4 tablespoons  / 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted + 1 teaspoon for cooking
  • cashew cheese, for spreading
  • 4 slices multigrain sourdough bread

1. In a large, wide pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Sauté the onions until they begin to soften and become translucent, around 10-12 minutes. Add the apples and stir to prevent them from sticking to the pan. Add a few tablespoons of water or oil if necessary to prevent sticking. Cook until the apples are tender and the onions are caramelized. They should be golden brown.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, maple syrup, and melted coconut oil. Dip each of the slices into the marinade to evenly coat, and leave the slices in the marinade for at least five minutes.
  3. Heat up a pan on medium low heat. Add a teaspoon of coconut oil and sear the tempeh until each side is browned. Place the slices of bread in your toaster and remove the tempeh from the heat.
  4. Spread two slices of bread with the cashew cheese. Place the tempeh on the cashew cheese and top with the caramelized onions and apples and the other slice of bread.

<< coconut yoghurt parfaits with baked nectarines and stovetop granola

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Subscribe

1. Amy | Sobremesa
    September 9, 2015

Gen, these look sooo good! I’ll pay you to deliver one to Boston for lunch ;) I’m so happy we got to celebrate Jodi’s homecoming with all the maple deliciousness! xo

September 22, 2015

Thank you Amy! I’ll let you know if I’m ever in Boston and I’ll try to bring some of these sammies, although I have no guarantees… I might just end up eating all of them myself haha! xo

2. Sydney | Modern Granola
    September 9, 2015

This is such a sweet post! It’s so genius that you guys chose maple as the theme. I love it! And I love what you did with this delicious sounding sandwich! Maple and soy sauce on tempeh sounds insanely delicious, but with caramelized apples and onions?! I’ve never heard of such a thing as caramelized apples, but how could that not be amazing? This is such an inspiring sandwich! I’m excited to try it!
    xx Sydney

September 22, 2015

Aw, thank you so much Sydney! The sandwich really was tasty- I wish I had some right now! xo

September 9, 2015

How lovely! Maple is such a comforting flavor too! The perfect “hug” home!

4. Sophie | The Green Life
    September 9, 2015

Genevieve, this sandwich looks amazing!! I LOVE tempeh, especially when marinated with maple syrup and tamari. But these caramelized onions and apples just bring it to the next level! I think it’s genius.
    This initiative is so lovely! I’m still making my way through all these gorgeous maple syrup recipes and what I’ve seen so far is pure deliciousness. I want to make all of them!

September 23, 2015

Thank you so much Sophie! Caramelized onions are just so yummy and I could add them to all of my lunches and dinners. xo

5. Maple Pecan Apple Crumble - Warm Vanilla Sugar
    September 9, 2015

[…] got: Maple Oat Whoopie Pies with Maple Cashew Cream by Sevengrams Maple Crumb Donuts by Faring Well Maple Tempeh Sandwiches by Gratitude & Greens Maple Syrup Madeleines by London Bakes Maple Miso Roasted Vegetable + […]

6. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
    September 9, 2015

I love how easy these are! And really tasty looking. Yum!

7. Sarah | Well and Full
    September 9, 2015

This sandwich is genius, Gen! I love how you used the richness of the maple with the onions and apple. Such a great flavor pairing! And have SO MUCH FUN in big sur + the redwoods, both of those places are on my bucket list!! :D

September 22, 2015

Thank you lovely! I had such an amazing time away, but now it’s time to get back to real life… xo

8. Kathryn @ The Scratch Artist
    September 9, 2015

Looks and sounds fabulous! I love that you put all of these flavors together into this sandwich. After reading all of the beautiful things you have all said about Jodi, I can’t wait to meet her and discover her blog! I love that you all put this together for her. Regarding the challenge of not being able to live in the same place as your other half, my heart goes out to you. I would be a wreck and I would need LOTS of chocolate and a positive attitude and then LOTS more chocolate.
    xo

September 23, 2015

Thanks Kathryn! And yes, lots and lots of chocolate have gotten me a long way… I don’t know how I would survive without Skype or chocolate haha! xo

9. Shelley | Sevengrams
    September 10, 2015

Gen, I’ve never been a huge tempeh person, but this recipe might just change that. I love the idea of snuggling the tempeh in a sandwich — perfection. Thanks again for joining along in the virtual party! x

September 23, 2015

Thanks for inviting me to the party, Shelley! All the maple recipes looked amazing. We should hang out if you are ever in Toronto. xo

10. janet @ the taste space
    September 10, 2015

Hi! Gotta love blog hop parties when they introduce you to other vegans in your city. Looks like a fabulous sandwich.

11. Jodi
    September 11, 2015

Gen, where to I even start? I remember getting that little email from you way back when. I was in a bit of a rut with happy hearted kitchen, and your email reminded me of why I had started the blog in the first – to share and to connect. To inspire and to be inspired by people who love the same things. I never could have imagine that starting a food blog would create so many friendships, so thank you for being a friend, for inspiring me and for your kind words and continuous encouragement. This has been this absolute sweetest way to come home – our life is a bit up side down at the moment, our belongings a mess in my parents garage, but there is chocolate and now maple syrup and so so many possibilities for our future life. I am here whenever you need a chat, and hopefully one day that chat will be face to face. Thank you a million times over, sending lots of love xo

September 23, 2015

I’m so glad we could make your homecoming sweeter!! Thank you for being the wonderful human being you are. I’m so looking forward to the day we finally get to meet in person <3

12. Jessie Snyder | Faring Well
    September 18, 2015

Aw love love love this Genevieve! Yay for Jodi and this yummy recipe. Looks and sounds amazing <3

13. dixya | food, pleasure, and health
    September 18, 2015

even though im not a big tempeh person, this sandwich looks delicious. thank you for introducing jodis blog, will head over to read her story now :)

September 22, 2015

Thank you Dixya! Enjoy Jodi’s blog- she’s great and I love all her recipes! xo

14. Audrey @ Unconventional Baker
    September 18, 2015

Maple is the perfect ode to Canada <3 It's one of the few things I absolutely adore and feel privileged about living here :) Now about this tempeh sandwich, holy amazing, Batman! This looks so good and I love the sound of maple & tamari <3

September 22, 2015

Thank you Audrey! I, too, am super happy that I get to live in maple syrup heaven! xo

15. Emily
    September 19, 2015

Love that you combined caramelized onions with apples. And I love the texture of tempeh on sandwiches! Beautiful, yummy photos!

16. Kristen @ The Endless Meal
    September 20, 2015

What a delicious looking sandwich! I’ve never tried tempeh before (which is strange cause I spent 14 years as a vegetarian) but I think I’m going to have to change that. Pinned!

September 23, 2015

Thank you Kristen! This sandwich is delicious, I hope you get to try it :) xo

17. Ellen Lederman
    February 28, 2016

This was excellent! What a great use of tempeh. What a soul-satisfying sandwich. Carmelized onions and apples is genius. So glad I discovered you, thanks to One Green Planet.