Smoked Sea Salt and Maple Almond Butter + The Health Benefits Of Almonds

smoked sea salt and maple almond butter + the health benefits of almonds // gratitude and greens // #vegan #plantbased #nuts #recipe

Hello again, blog. New York City has done such a great job of wining and dining me that it’s just a tiny bit hard to readjust myself to real life again. The past few days were filled with so much love, laughter, and good food, and I miss it already. Although I continued to share photos on Instagram during the few days I was there, I tried hard to disconnect myself completely and forced myself to really go on holiday. I saw friends I only get to see once a year, some even less frequently, as well as my faraway boyfriend, and I wanted to appreciate every moment I had with them. Each day was jam-packed with adventures and I couldn’t have asked for a better time. I’ll be writing a post on all my favourite spots in New York City and sharing photos from my trip, so stay tuned!

Now… nuts. Where do I begin?

As someone who eats mostly vegan, nuts make up a huge part of my diet. I snack on nuts, cook and bake with them, spread fruit or toast with nut butter, and of course, drink nut milk, all on a daily basis. People express concerns about the crazy number of calories I must be eating, but as of now, I haven’t found my nut consumption to be a health or weight issue for me. Nuts are extremely nutritious (especially when soaked!), not to mention delicious. My diet would be extremely dull and lacking without them, which is why I jumped at the chance to share how awesome almonds are when Nuts.com knocked on my door.

To help you get started on your road to almond bliss, I decided to share a recipe for smoked sea salt and maple almond butter. Although making your own nut butter might seem intimidating at first, it’s really easy and you get the best (read: edible) reward at the end of it all. All you need is a food  processor and some tasty and toasty nuts! And the beauty of the nut butter is its versatility: you can use any nut you’d like to make any flavour you want! A few of my favourites: dark chocolate, cinnamon, or slightly salted. This smoked sea salt and maple almond butter is the perfect combination of sweet and smokey, and I love it with apple slices or spread on cinnamon toast. For more almond recipe ideas, simply scroll down to the bottom of the page, where I’ve compiled a list of almond recipes for you!

NOTES: I first struggled to make nut butter because I was soaking the nuts but not dehydrating them properly. While I soak most of the nuts I eat and cook with, I’ve found that it is much easier to make nut butter with nuts that have not been soaked. My method is just to roast them in the oven and to blend. If you *do* choose to soak them, I highly recommend that you properly dehydrate the nuts before making nut butter. Regular nut butter is easy to make without any additional oil, however, the stickiness of the maple syrup requires just a little bit of oil to make the nut butter smooth. Add oil as needed. If you prefer a crunchy nut butter, set a handful of nuts aside to add after the nut butter has been made.

SMOKED SEA SALT AND MAPLE ALMOND BUTTER
Yields around 1 cup of nut butter.

• 2 cups almonds
  • 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup, more if desired
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked sea salt
  • 1-2 tablespoons of neutral oil – I like to use coconut oil that has been melted and liquified

1. Preheat the oven to 150ºC/300ºF. Spread the almonds onto a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, until the nuts are fragrant and golden brown.
2. Remove the nuts from the oven and allow them to cool. Once they have cooled, blend the almonds and smoked sea salt for a few minutes. Scrape the sides and blend for a few more minutes, adding the maple syrup once the almond butter begins to liquefy. It can take up to 15-20 minutes to reach creamy nut butter bliss. If it needs more liquid, add one or two tablespoons of oil.
3. Store in a sealed jar and enjoy! The nut butter doesn’t need to be refrigerated and should keep for a few weeks.

some recipes to get you started with almonds…

Happy Friday!

This post was sponsored by Nuts.com. All opinions are my own.

don’t forget to subscribe and stay updated! follow me on facebooktwitterpinterestinstagram; and bloglovin’

<< spring buckwheat risotto

1. Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    March 27, 2015

I need to start making my own almond butter again… I just don’t think I have the patience but it’s soooo worth it!!

March 27, 2015

Oh you totally should! Such a yummy project ;) xo

March 27, 2015

Beautiful almond butter! (And thank you for sharing mine!) You know I am all about homemade nut butters! I made some of my favorite chocolate hemp seed butter during spring break when I was home with my many blenders so I could savor the treat when I came back to DC!

March 27, 2015

Thanks girl! And of course :) I saw that chocolate hemp seed butter and am still dying to try it! Sounds so perfect. Happy Friday! xo

3. Marisa | Marisa Moore Nutrition
    March 27, 2015

I love the idea of maple and smoked sea salt in a nut butter. I haven’t made almond butter (yet) at home but what a great way to reinvent almonds!

March 27, 2015

Thank you Marisa! I highly recommend making your own- it’s so yummy! xo

4. Anne|Craving Something Healthy
    March 27, 2015

Oh what wonderful flavors! I love almond butter but have never made my own. It’s time!

March 30, 2015

Oooooh you definitely should! Let me know how it goes :) xo

5. Kelly // The Pretty Bee: Cooking & Creating
    March 27, 2015

This almond butter sounds so good! And I have never seen smoked sea salt before, I will have to try to find it! It sounds interesting!

March 30, 2015

Thank you Kelly! And ooooh I hope you get your hands on some smoked sea salt asap! I love Maldon smoked sea salt- it’s so great for adding some smokiness to dishes. xo

6. Ashlae
    March 27, 2015

I’m always too lazy to roast almonds before turning them into almond butter but DANG that first photo has me realizing I’ve been doing it all wrong, all along. Can’t wait to hear more about your trip to NYC, lady! So happy you were able to unplug and enjoy quality time with your friends and beau. <3

7. Sam @ PancakeWarriors
    March 27, 2015

You had me at almond butter! Is there really anything better? Love the salty smokey sweet combo here!! I can’t wait to try it!

8. Farrah
    March 28, 2015

Ohhhmigosh, this sounds amazing! I love nut butters (they’re pretty much wonderful on everything!)

I really need to get a high-powered blender (or food processor)! <3

9. Natalia
    March 28, 2015

I have been making my nut butters since several months, and I totally love them! But your salted-sweet version sounds so delicious! Have a lovely we, Gen!

10. Audrey @ Unconventional Baker
    March 28, 2015

My kind of nut butter combo — maple and salt make EVERYTHING better :)

11. Rebecca
    March 29, 2015

I have got to try this so very soon!! Glad you were able to mostly unplug while in New York; with smartphones, it’s so difficult to stay away from the online world these days–and much needed!

12. Allie
    March 30, 2015

I will have to try this. I love all nut butters and I love the smoked sea salt with the almonds

13. EA-The Spicy RD
    March 30, 2015

Yum! Homemade nut butter is the best & so easy to make! Love your addition of smoked sea salt and maple syrup for a sweet and savory combo. I have all the ingredients, so hope to make this today :-) Looking forward to your NYC post and photos. Have a delicious week!

14. Alanna
    March 30, 2015

I’ve also been trying to disconnect while traveling/vacation as much as possible. This almond butter sounds amazing! I love making my own but have to admit that I don’t do it as much as I should.

15. Jenn
    April 9, 2015

Thank you for linking to my Pesto recipe! Your almond butter sounds amazing!!

16. Raw Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream - For My Mother - gratitude and greens
    July 25, 2015

[…] the ice cream, and you can make your own by checking out my post on how to make your own nut butter here. This ice cream is thick and creamy, but feel free to add more liquid to thin it out. If I’m […]

17. Raw Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream