The Almost Scone: Vanilla Roasted Fig Biscuits

What do you do when the fire alarm goes off at your sister’s school concert and you’re out in the cold with a gaggle of teenage girls who are half-frozen, hungry, and confused?

You hand out biscuits.

Last night, the fire alarm went off ten seconds into the symphony orchestra’s beautiful performance of the Intermezzo from “Cavalleria Rusticana”, and everyone—the audience, performers, and conductors—was ushered into the cold. I had a box of these biscuits in my bag, which I took out for my sister, and before I knew it, girls were converging on me for snacks. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to share these biscuits on the blog, but they seemed pretty popular and the girls loved it, so here we are.

the almost scone: vanilla roasted fig biscuits // gratitude and greens // #vegan #plantbased #recipe #bakingthe almost scone: vanilla roasted fig biscuits // gratitude and greens // #vegan #plantbased #recipe #bakingthe almost scone: vanilla roasted fig biscuits // gratitude and greens // #vegan #plantbased #recipe #baking

What makes a good biscuit? What qualifies as a biscuit? I’m not sure, but according to Wikipedia, biscuit is “a term used for a variety of baked, commonly flour-based food products.” While British biscuits are cookie-like (think digestive biscuits, yum), American biscuits somewhat resemble British scones without the sugar, and are usually flaky, fluffy, tender, and easy to pull apart.

Well, these biscuits are… neither. They’re not crisp biscuits, nor are they the super fluffy kind. The outsides are crunchy, the way scones are supposed to be, and the insides are the perfect in-between of fluffy and chewy. I would call these biscuits ‘almost scones’—‘almost scones’ because they were supposed to be beautiful, towering British scones, but they failed to rise, and the texture is more similar to that of the triangular scones seen in North America. Still, they were delicious: despite having zero butter in them, these biscuits taste and feel buttery, and are subtly sweet, thanks to a wee bit of coconut sugar and the vanilla roasted figs. The coarse almond meal and the spelt flour give the biscuit a wholesome taste and texture, making it a great snack to tide you over until dinner time. I devoured these with a generous slather of jam and a big cup of tea, and had to force myself to stop eating them so I would be hungry enough for dinner.

I hope you make them… even if they aren’t what you’d normally think of as a scone or biscuit :)the almost scone: vanilla roasted fig biscuits // gratitude and greens // #vegan #plantbased #recipe #baking

THE ALMOST SCONE: VANILLA ROASTED FIG BISCUITS
Yields 15+ biscuits.

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup spelt flour
  • 1 cup almonds
  • 1 almost-there cup of almond milk (225ml, a little less than a cup)
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil + 2 tablespoons for roasting figs
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar
  • 4-5 figs
  • 3 tablespoons baking powder
  • 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup, honey, or agave syrsup
  • 2 flax eggs (1 flax egg = 1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water)
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Preheat the oven to 205ºC/400ºF.
2. Slice the figs into wedges, and place in a bowl. Toss the figs with your liquid sweetener of choice, 2 tablespoons coconut oil, and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla extract.
3. Roast for 15-20 minutes, until the figs have softened and caramelized. Once the figs are done roasting, allow them to cool and reserve the cooking liquid, and increase the oven temperature to 210ºC/415ºF for the biscuits.
4. While the figs are roasting, prepare the biscuit batter.
5. Make the coarse almond meal by quickly pulsing the almonds in a food processor. They should be almost finely ground, with bits of almond still in it. Add the flours, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pulse again.
6. Add the coconut oil in knobs and blend until the mixture is slightly crumbly. Use a spatula to scrape the sides, and blend again.
7. Remove the mixture from the food processor and place in the bowl of a stand mixer. Use your hands or a fork to continue incorporating the coconut oil into the dry mixture.
8. Mix the almond milk and flax eggs together. Remove two tablespoons, mix together with the cooking liquid from the figs, and set aside.
9. Pour the almond milk, flax eggs, vanilla extract, and figs into the dry mixture and mix until just incorporated. The batter should be on the stickier side.
10. Flour a large surface area. Pour the batter onto the surface, and with a rolling pin, roll until 1/2 an inch thick.
11. Using a round cookie cutter, press into the batter. Lift the cookie cutter up (no wiggling!) and repeat until all the dough has been cut. Brush the almond milk, flax egg, and fig cooking liquid mixture onto the biscuits. Repeat with the leftover dough from cutting the first round of biscuits. Place the cut biscuits onto a greased baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes.

don’t forget to subscribe and stay updated! follow me on facebooktwitterpinterestinstagram; and bloglovin’

<< vegan chili… with a secret ingredient!
<< one year ago: blood orange salad

March 4, 2015

The are stunning! Vanilla and fig is a perfect elegant flavor combo! I’ve never made scones….or even biscuits, haha! But I so want to make these (and make them GF which will be easy!)

March 10, 2015

Vanilla and fig is SUCH a good combo! I was seriously tempted to eat all the figs before they went into the scone batter, haha. Hope you are having a great week so far! xo

2. Emily @ Zen & Spice
    March 4, 2015

I like how you had biscuits in your bag :) totally a food blogger hahah! These look so pretty!

March 10, 2015

Rule number one: always have food on hand for emergencies ;) RIGHT?! xo

3. Farrah
    March 4, 2015

These look so, so good! *-* That’s so nice of you to hand out biscuits to everyone!

I need to find fresh figs. ;_; I want these in my life!!

March 10, 2015

I saw figs at the market and couldn’t resist buying them! I had so many biscuits leftover from recipe testing, I figured it was a good opportunity to share them :) xo

4. Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    March 4, 2015

i love people who are handy with snacks!! the idea of roasted figs sounds so good right now..you mentioned biscuits aka digestive, while growing up i called those biscuits but now moving to the US, they are more like crackers – its so confusing.

March 10, 2015

I know right? I always have to specify which kind of biscuit I’m talking about depending on who I’m talking to! And yes, snack people are the best- I like them too ;) xo

5. Katie @ 24 Carrot Life
    March 4, 2015

Although they’re the almost scone, they look pretty darn good to me! I love figs in anything!

March 10, 2015

Thanks Katie! Me too! I love figs on their own, in baked goods, as jam/chutney… SO yummy. xo

6. Audrey @ Unconventional Baker
    March 4, 2015

Well, I’m all for unconventional treats and these sound amazing! :) When a friend had a similar experience of coming out with neither a biscuit or a scone, yet something totally delicious, it was decided her creation was to be called a “scookie!” and I think these look like perfect scookies to me :)

March 10, 2015

Thanks Audrey, I love the name scookie! It’s such a cute name, and it reminds of scooby snacks, too! xo

7. Katie (The Muffin Myth)
    March 5, 2015

Yum! These look amazing! I love the flavour of figs, and together with the nutty spelt flour, these are perfect! Definitely going on my must-make list. Thanks for the recipe!

8. Sonali- The Foodie Physician
    March 5, 2015

Whatever you want to call them, they sound delicious! The fact that you saved the day with a box of these beauties is classic!

March 10, 2015

Thanks Sonali! I always try to keep food on me in case I get hungry on the go, and I’m super glad that they came in handy when that fire alarm went off! xo

9. Ashlae W.
    March 5, 2015

Handing out biscuits during a fire alarm is TOTALLY something I would do. When I used to live in a big warehouse downtown, the fire alarm would go off once a month or so and I’d totally use it as an opportunity to hand out whatever baked goods were hogging valuable pantry space. With that being said, I love (love!) a hearty adaption of a traditional recipe. These look fantastic, lady – and I’m especially fond of your commitment to baking with whole foods (spelt, coconut oil, flax eggs, HOLLA!).

March 10, 2015

Thanks Ashlae! I try to use wholesome ingredients whenever I can, although sometimes those attempts result in some pretty awful first tries, haha. Your superwoman vegan baking skills are an inspiration to me! And yes, handing out baked goods = great way to get rid of stuff sitting around the house. There are always waaaay too many munchies for me to finish alone! Not that it’s really a problem because I would probably eat them anyway if I left the treats at home… too dangerous ;) xo

10. Christine // my natural kitchen
    March 5, 2015

Vanilla and fig are such a fantastic match! And fig scones are a favourite of mine too. All in all, these sound really lovely xo

March 10, 2015

I’m all about the figs right now- just saw the fig bars you posted, which sound so delicious and wholesome! Can’t wait to try them! xo

11. Laura
    March 5, 2015

Oh man. I would make these for the roasted figs alone!! Look soooo yum. Thanks for the inspiration:)

March 10, 2015

Thanks Laura! I probably would have eaten all the roasted figs if they didn’t have to go in the scone batter ;) xo

12. Natalia
    March 6, 2015

Lovely recipe, Gen! I would like to try it in a gluten-free version as having some biscuits with you is always a good idea, isn’t it?

Thanks Natalia! I agree: having biscuits on you is always a good idea ;) xo

13. Shashi at RunninSrilankan
    March 6, 2015

I bet those girls thanked their lucky stars you were there at your sister’s school concert! Love the sound of these – specially since they don’t have any butter added but yet are crispy on the outside and perfect on the inside!

March 10, 2015

Thanks Shashi! They taste wonderfully buttery, but without the butter! My boyfriend was surprised there wasn’t any butter. All hail coconut oil! xo

14. Rustedrecipebox
    March 6, 2015

Vanilla and fig, what an interesting and complex pairing. These look truly special.

15. Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel
    March 6, 2015

Figs are so fun to use in recipes. And I like how they turned out as almost scones :)

March 10, 2015

Thanks Kelsey! They were still super delicious even though they didn’t rise- I’m definitely okay with almost scones if they taste this yummy! xo

16. Saturday Six | Harissa Tomato Soup, Matcha Cupcakes & Sweet Potato Falafel Burgers | Your Vegetarian Kitchen
    March 7, 2015

[…] Vanilla Roasted Fig Biscuits // Vanilla-roasted figs. That’s really all you need to know here. Get the recipe from Gratitude & Greens → […]

17. Rebecca
    March 8, 2015

They look lovely! What a nice thing to be able to hand out biscuits to cold (and likely stressed) girls. :)

March 10, 2015

Thanks Rebecca! I think I would’ve appreciated baked goods if I was in their shoes- plus, I had so many, they were practically doing me a favour by eating them for me. You’ll rarely find me without food on me! xo

18. Ariana
    March 8, 2015

These sound so good! And not that difficult either. I remember making scones in high school and they did not turn out at all! I think I could handle these though ;) Thanks for sharing!

March 10, 2015

Thanks Ariana! These are ‘almost scones’ that are delicious regardless of whether they rise or not. Good luck!! xo

19. Be Amazing + Spring Gratitude Bowls | gratitude and greens