Recipe Redux: Comfy + Cozy Masala Chai Hot Chocolate – For Claudia

masala chai hot chocolate // gratitude and greens // #vegan #plantbased #chocolate #recipe

The snow is falling, falling, falling. This city is covered in a blanket of white, and the air is still. It’s peaceful and quiet, almost like Christmas morning. I’m listening to this while I write, because it seems like the perfect soundtrack to a snowy afternoon. Part of my day was spent camped out on the sofa with my duvet, watching Masterchef Junior and eating avocado toast. As the afternoon rolled around, I made my way to the kitchen to make a cup of hot chocolate. On cold days like this, there’s not much more you need.

masala chai hot chocolate // gratitude and greens // #vegan #plantbased #recipe #chocolate #chai

This month, the Recipe Redux asked its members to come up with a recipe that showcased our favourite healthy chocolate combination. With this challenge in mind, I decided to share a recipe for a masala chai hot chocolate, which is inspired by one of my favourite cafés. When I was in Hong Kong, I discovered a café specializing in organic loose-leaf teas and tea desserts called Teakha. It’s a teensy-tiny nook of a café, and its warm and inviting atmosphere, along with their delicious offerings, quickly made it my new go-to café. I tried as many teas as I could before I had to leave Hong Kong, and sometimes even ordered two in a sitting. Among the many I tried were the roselle and fresh mint tea, roselle milk tea with local honey, caramelized lemon iced tea, lemon verbena tea, Thai iced tea, their winter masala chai blend, and the masala chai hot chocolate.

While all the teas were wonderful, the masala chai hot chocolate was my favourite. I was skeptical about the combination before ordering, but after my first sip, I was hooked. It was unlike anything I had ever tried before: it had the perfect balance of sweet and spicy, which, combined with the richness of the chocolate, made for a delicious and warming drink. I’ve tried to replicate this very hot chocolate in my kitchen numerous times, but nothing has come close to the perfection of Teakha’s masala chai hot chocolate. This recipe is the closet I’ve come, but I will probably return to the kitchen to continue tweaking and fine-tuning until I have the perfect cup.

If you’re interested in the health benefits of chai tea, you can read about it in one of my previous posts here.

masala chai hot chocolate // gratitude and greens // #vegan #plantbased #chai #chocolate #recipe

I’m dedicating this recipe to my friend and penpal Claudia, who is currently studying costume production at drama school in London. We bonded over our love of books, bookshops, tea, and food. I mentioned my love for this masala chai hot chocolate a few emails ago, so here we are. This one is for you, Claudia!

MASALA CHAI HOT CHOCOLATE
Yields 2 servings.

• 2 cups (500ml) water
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 6 tablespoons dark chocolate, chopped
  • 3 teaspoons good quality loose-leaf chai tea
  • ground black pepper

1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the chai tea, and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. After 20 minutes, take 1/2 a cup of the chai tea and pour it in a small saucepan. Add the dark chocolate and whisk until melted. Pour the chocolate into two cups.
3. Add the almond milk to the rest of the chai tea in its pot, and bring to a simmer. Using a milk frother, froth the chai and almond milk. Pour the milk into two cups, and top with ground black pepper.

What’s your favourite chocolate pairing?

PS. I know I’ve been sharing a lot of drink recipes lately. Don’t worry, real food is coming back soon!

don’t forget to subscribe and stay updated! follow me on facebooktwitterpinterestinstagram; and bloglovin’

<< nut milk three ways: sea salt + vanilla almond milk, chocolate hazelnut milk, and matcha cashew milk

[inlinkz_linkup id=489673 mode=1]

1. Farrah
    February 22, 2015

I definitely need to check out Teakha if I ever get to go to HK again! <3 I love chai, and this sounds amazing! Thank you for trying to recreate it! ;P I can't wait to try it out! :]

February 25, 2015

Thank you Farrah! And you should!! If we are there at the same time we should definitely go together :)

2. Danielle Omar -- Food Confidence RD
    February 22, 2015

I never thought to combine chocolate and chai! It looks so comforting and soothing, especially on this snowy day!

February 25, 2015

Thank you Danielle! This is actually the perfect drink for a cold and snowy day- I’m perfectly happy to be snowed in if I have a big mug of this in my hands while I snuggle up on the couch.

3. Alanna
    February 22, 2015

What an interesting combination! This would be perfect on a day like today – there is way too much snow here in NY and I think this hot chocolate would be the perfect fix.

February 25, 2015

Thanks Alanna! This drink warms me up from head to toe on cold days- I love snuggling up with a good book and a big cup of this when I’m snowed in!

4. Sonali- The Foodie Physician
    February 22, 2015

This sounds like a wonderful combination! Being a big chai drinker and chocolate lover, I can’t believe I’ve never tried the two together. This needs to change immediately!

February 25, 2015

Thank you Sonali! I hope you get to try this soon. I was skeptical of the combination at first, but was blown away by how delicious it was after my first sip. It’s quickly become one of my favourite chocolate combinations :)

5. Annemarie (Real Food Real Deals)
    February 22, 2015

This looks amazing! We’ve been getting so much snow here in Boston, so I’m excited to see a new twist on hot chocolate. I would love this.

February 25, 2015

Thank you Annemarie! Hope you are staying warm in Boston.

6. Choosing Raw - vegan and raw recipes | Weekend Reading, 2.22.15
    February 22, 2015

[…] up on a cold night with a spicy, warming, and oh-so-cozy cup of masala chai hot chocolate. […]

7. Christine // my natural kitchen
    February 23, 2015

I love the idea of adding chai flavour to a healthy hot chocolate! And it looks so beautiful in your photos — can’t wait to try! xo

February 25, 2015

Thank you Christine! I hope you like it- it’s become one of my favourite winter drinks :)

8. Rebecca
    February 23, 2015

I love tea shops and sampling new teas–this sounds like such a fun experience!

February 25, 2015

It was! I’m bummed there isn’t a café like that one in my city, but hopefully I’ll find one soon!

9. Trish
    February 23, 2015

YUM! This sounds like the perfect drink for a cold February afternoon. It’s been unusually warm over here in Washington State all winter long, and I’m not complaining but I would love some snow. Even just a little. :)

February 25, 2015

Oh my gosh, Trish, please come to Canada and take some of ours! In the meantime, I hope you get to enjoy this masala chai hot chocolate- even if there isn’t any snow :)

10. Shashi at RunninSrilankan
    February 23, 2015

Now I have had a lot of tea in my life – but never chai tea with chocolate – what a BRILLIANT idea this is! This would make me give up my coffee-mongering ways!

February 25, 2015

Thanks Shashi, I hope you get to try it soon! It’s pure deliciousness!

February 23, 2015

Everything you make is so simply beautiful!

12. Laura @ My Plant Based Kitchen
    February 23, 2015

This looks delicious!! I need to try soon. Thanks for sharing! :)

February 25, 2015

Thank you Laura! I hope you get to try it- let me know how you like it :)

13. Francesca
    February 23, 2015

Perfect for this frigid night :D

14. EA-The Spicy RD
    February 24, 2015

First of all, I’m just a wee bit envious of your tea tasting experience in Hong Kong-it sounds incredible! And, secondly, your masala chia hot chocolate looks SO cozy and comforting, that I can’t wait for a grey, drizzly day to hunker down with a giant steaming mug of it :-)

15. Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits
    February 24, 2015

I am loving all these spices in this hot chocolate! I’m sure the Bay Area is nowhere near as cold as where you are, but the nights can get a bit chilly too! I could definitely curl up a nice cup of this!

Also, I love that you use the word “duvet”!

16. Jeanette | Jeanette's Healthy Living
    February 24, 2015

I love the sound of this – like a sweet spicy hot chocolate, perfect for this cold spell we’re having this winter.

17. GiGi Eats
    February 24, 2015

OOOO that looks so soothing and delicious and heart-warming!!! :D I would drink 50 cups!!

18. Fluffy Vegan and Gluten-free Buckwheat + Oat Flour Pancakes | gratitude and greens
    February 25, 2015

[…] << comfy and cozy masala chai hot chocolate << 1 year ago: maca cocoa lattes […]

19. Joana from My Gut Feeling
    February 25, 2015

Thank you, Genevieve :) Awesome decandent and healthy combo and a great excuse to add chocolate to my tea :D

February 25, 2015

Thank you Joana! I love chocolate with everything and anything!

20. Anu-My Ginger Garlic Kitchen
    February 27, 2015

Wow! What an incredible comb of masala chai and hot chocolate. Absolute YUM! :)

21. Hime
    February 27, 2015

That looks so delicious and heart-warming ^^ Definitely the drink you wanna have while snuggling with the boyfriend under a blanket…

22. Jessica
    February 27, 2015

Beautiful photography and this sounds absolutely amazing! I love chai and hot chocolate so this is definitely going into my favorites :)

23. Claudia
    March 1, 2015

Gen this is amazing! I’m so glad that you have brought this into my life :)

24. Tianna
    March 4, 2015

sounds delish! definitely trying this one♥

25. That Wife | Celebrating 30 on the 30th
    May 25, 2015

[…] credits: food, hot chocolate, […]

26. Golden Chai Lattes: Golden Milk, But Better!
    January 8, 2016

[…] might also like: masala chai hot chocolate | hazelnut lattes | real deal pumpkin spice […]

27. Cozy Up And Indulge In A Warm Cup Of 16 Vegan Hot Chocolates