Blood Orange Immunity Smoothie

blood orange immunity smoothie // gratitude and greens // #vegan #raw #plantbased #recipe

There are only three days left until I see my beardy ginger man, and I am beyond excited! Schoolgirl giddy, in fact. I am eagerly awaiting his arrival, hoping that the next few days will fly by. More than three years of togetherness and I still have the biggest crush on this guy. I can never get enough of his goofiness, charm, and intellect. Being in a long distance relationship is hard. Missing someone is hard. But being apart has been a wonderful reminder for me to maintain balance in my life, and for us both to get out there and pursue our interests. Our relationship has kept me grateful and looking on the bright side. It’s easy to fall into a pit of negativity (we’re so far apart) (when is the next time we’ll see each other) (you’ll have to leave again after two weeks) but at the end of the day, I really am just thankful that I have such an awesome human being in my life. And that we are only one time zone apart and SKYPE EXISTS!!! Seriously, friends. Skype, and the human connections it allows us to make and keep, is something worth celebrating every single day.

blood orange immunity smoothie // gratitude and greens // #raw #vegan #plantbased #recipeblood orange immunity smoothie // gratitude and greens // #raw #vegan #plantbased #recipe

When my boyfriend and I were living together, I was in charge of breakfast most mornings. It was usually a smoothie or a pot of oatmeal, and if it was flu season, probably a pot of turmeric tea, too. He’s convinced that I’m really not a morning person, just a breakfast person. I would go to sleep with thoughts of what to make the next morning, and visions of insanely delicious flavour combinations swirling around my head. This hasn’t stopped: a few nights ago, I couldn’t sleep because my mind was too stuck on what I was having for breakfast the next day. I couldn’t stop thinking about the ruby red flesh of the blood oranges sitting on my kitchen counter and the fresh, golden turmeric I found at the farmers market. And then my mind went into the fridge, where my raspberries were sitting. I thought about what a great smoothie these ingredients would make. Would it be too sour? Should I add a banana?

The next morning, I blended the ingredients together, and I realized there had been a very good reason for my smoothie dreams: it was oh-my-gosh delicious and is the best blood orange smoothie ever. OF ALL TIME. I know we are in the midst of winter and a smoothie is probably the last thing you want to sip on, but this smoothie is perfect for beating the winter blahs and is a nice switch-up from good ol’ turmeric tea. It’s filled with Vitamin C, anthocyanins, and turmeric’s immune boosting properties. I’ve written about the health benefits of turmeric numerous times so I won’t go into it today, but you can read all about how wonderful turmeric is for our immune system here. You can also read about anthocyanins, which are responsible for bright red, purple, and blue hues in fruits and veggies, here.

For more ideas on how to beat the winter blahs, you can check out my friend Jen’s post here!

BLOOD ORANGE IMMUNITY SMOOTHIE
Makes 1 large serving or 2 small servings.

• 2-3 blood oranges, peeled
  • 1 cup raspberries
  • 1 banana, peeled
  • small knob of fresh turmeric, grated
  • 1/2 cup water, to thin out
  • raw honey, maple syrup, or agave, to taste – for those who would like their smoothie sweeter

1. Place the ingredients in a blender and blend.

Enjoy :)

P.S. This week the Daily Burn featured my matcha crêpes in their piece 14 Must-Try Matcha Recipes You’ll Drool Over, which you can check out here! Thanks Daily Burn for the feature :)

don’t forget to subscribe and stay updated! follow me on facebooktwitterpinterestinstagram; and bloglovin’

<< red dragon fruit, mango, and banana smoothie bowl

1. Natalia
    February 12, 2015

Mmmm, love this orange-red color of your smoothie!

Congratulations for the feature of your matcha crêpes! <3

February 15, 2015

Thank you Natalia! I love the colour too :)

2. Elizabeth @ Enjoy Every Bite
    February 12, 2015

Beautiful pictures! I always love new smoothie recipes!

February 12, 2015

You made such a beautiful smoothie…that I actually want one now!
    And that is so exciting you will be reunited! The heart aches when you are away from loved ones (I know!) but it is so great to finally see them again!
    And I would have thought you WERE a morning person! Haha! At least you are a BREAKFAST person ;) The best type of people in my opinion ;) XOXOXOXO

February 15, 2015

Haha, I doooo think of myself as a morning person! I love getting started with my day! The boyfriend, however, seems to think I am purely a breakfast person. When asked if I would still be happy in the morning without breakfast, I think my answer would have to be no. So I guess I’m a morning person as long as there’s food ;)

4. Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes
    February 12, 2015

I have spent the last few days helping a friend who is sick, cooking for her and shopping etc. I bought a big nob of turmeric for her, and told her to use it! I’ll have to send along this recipe so she’ll know how to use it in a delicious way.

February 15, 2015

Thank you Katie! I hope your friend feels better soon!

5. Alex Caspero MA,RD (@delishknowledge)
    February 12, 2015

Gosh, long distance relationships are tough. When my boyfriend, now husband, and I were doing it, I kept trying to remind myself of all the things I got to do because we were apart- more time with my girlfriends, more time to focus on work, ect. While it’s still really hard, those reminders got my through! anyways, this blood orange smoothie is exactly the kind of breakfast I love! Nourishing, gorgeous and packed with antioxidants! Ive just got back in the turmeric game and can’t wait to give this a try.

February 15, 2015

Yes! Anyone who’s been in a LDR will know both how wonderful it is and how difficult it can be. I appreciate the time I’m actually with my boyfriend a gazillion times more now and I try my best to focus my energy on other things to keep my mind off missing him. So glad to hear that you and your hubby are now together instead of far apart!

6. Emily @SinfulNutrition
    February 12, 2015

Looks gorgeous! I don’t think I’ve ever actually had a blood orange. Going to look for them this week!

February 15, 2015

Thank you! And oh, Emily, you have to try one ASAP! They are so delicious and juicy- I had three this morning because I couldn’t resist!

7. Anne|Craving Something Healthy
    February 12, 2015

Such a beautiful smoothie – it makes you feel good just looking at it :) Love that you used turmeric. I never know what to do with it! Hope you have a lovely Valentine’s Day weekend!

February 15, 2015

Thank you, Anne! I hope you are having a great weekend too :)

8. Farrah
    February 12, 2015

This looks so pretty, and could not be posted at a better time, because I think I’m coming down with something! (Noooo… :[ ) I need to get my hands on some blood oranges!

February 15, 2015

Thank you Farrah! I hope you feel better soon. Fight those mean germs!!

9. Sonali- The Foodie Physician
    February 12, 2015

Such a wonderful smoothie and I love your addition of turmeric! Have a great Valentine’s Day, I’m so happy for you that you get to spend it with your man!

February 15, 2015

Thank you Sonali! Hope you’re having a fabulous weekend too :)

10. Thoughts On Self-Love + Winter Porridge Two Ways | gratitude and greens
    February 13, 2015

[…] << blood orange immunity smoothie […]

11. Vy
    February 17, 2015

I love blood orange! Never thought about using it in a smoothie though! Thanks for the recipe!