Red Dragon Fruit, Mango, and Banana Smoothie Bowl

red dragon fruit smoothie bowl - vegan - raw // gratitude and greens // #raw #vegan #recipe #plantbased

My time in Hong Kong has flown by, and I head back to cold and snowy Canada this Friday. Where does the time go? My days were beginning to feel routine: lunch with my mom, grandma, and aunts; recipe experimenting; going to the gym; reading; coffee with friends; walking around town. I’ve loved exploring new parts of Hong Kong that were previously unknown to me—Hong Kong is slowly blooming into a greener, healthier, and more sustainable city, and I am thrilled by all the new juice bars and green eateries that have popped up. They would have never even existed two years ago! Even more exciting is the passion that restaurateurs and café owners have for their craft, and their commitment to quality. There seems to be a new craze in Hong Kong- as there is all over the world now- for locally grown produce. Walking through the markets here, I’ve begun to see more organically and locally grown fruits and vegetables. It’s a beautiful sight to behold.

Although the local stuff is great, the produce available from nearby Southeast Asia is also incredible. I am a tropical fruit fiend, and having fresh, ripe mangoes, papayas, pineapples, citrus, durian, dragon fruit, and coconuts available to me has made my stay heavenly. The fruit is so fresh, and I don’t have to spill my life savings to buy it.

Let’s Talk Dragon Fruit & Anthocyanins
Dragon fruit is also known as pitaya, a cactus fruit grown in Southeast Asia and South America. The flesh is typically a creamy white-grey or a vibrant red dotted with little seeds. Their texture is similar to that of the kiwi, and they have a wonderful, subtle sweetness. My favourite way to enjoy the fruit is by slicing it in half, grabbing a spoon, and eating it with a sprinkle of hemp seeds.

While both white and red-fleshed dragon fruit are delicious, I can’t resist the gorgeous fuschia colour of the latter. Red-fleshed dragon fruit are also chock-full of anthocyanins, flavonoids responsible for the red, purple, and blue pigments in fruits and vegetables: think beets, blueberries, blood oranges, red cabbage, and pomegranates. Foods high in anthocyanins have been used to treat bodily ailments, such as liver disfunction, hypertension, and vision impairment throughout history. Anthocyanins are also packed with antioxidants, and research trials have demonstrated the ability of anthocyanins to dramatically decrease the growth and spread of cancer cells. Pretty awesome, eh?

This three-ingredient smoothie bowl is simple, delicious, and will leave you wanting more. This smoothie will also make you feel as if it is July and you are on vacation in Bali. And I am always ready for a vacation in Bali…

RED DRAGON FRUIT SMOOTHIE BOWL
Yields 2 servings

• 2 cups red dragon fruit
  • 1 cup ataulfo mango
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Your toppings of choice! Hemp seeds, chia seeds, ground flax, desiccated coconut, blueberries, cacao nibs, goji berries, bananas, granola, muesli, and chopped nuts are all great toppings.

1. Slice the dragon fruit and mango into chunks.
2. Blend the dragon fruit, mango, banana, and water in a blender.
3. Garnish with your toppings of choice.

Happy smoothie guzzling!

more dragon fruit recipes:
red dragon fruit sherbet from magnolia days
dragon fruit salad from white on rice couple
dragon fruit cheesecake with homemade labneh from to the t

don’t forget to subscribe and stay updated! follow me on facebooktwitterpinterestinstagram; and bloglovin’

≤≤ tahini brownies with smoked sea salt

1. Kelly // The Pretty Bee: Cooking & Creating
    February 2, 2015

This is such a pretty smoothie bowl! I love the color!

2. Natalia
    February 2, 2015

OMG, that colour! Enjoy it, Geneviève! I only wish I had all that sort fruits too! :)

February 2, 2015

Nature’s bounty is such a wonderful and beautiful thing! XOXO

February 12, 2015

Yes! I am always so blown away by the colours, flavours, and textures of the produce I buy. It makes experimenting all the more fun!

4. rachel @ athletic avocado
    February 2, 2015

Such a beautiful color! So vibrant! I need to try dragon fruit!

February 12, 2015

Thanks Rachel! Let me know how you like it :)

5. Dianna @ Chard in Charge
    February 3, 2015

So beautiful in color! I’ve never tried dragonfruit before, would love to find it here to try this! xo

February 12, 2015

Thank you Dianna! Try Chinatown or your local Chinese supermarket. Chances are they carry a variety of it, although it might not be red-fleshed like this one was. I hope you get to try it!

6. Alanna
    February 3, 2015

Red dragon fruit is absolutely stunning! Your smoothie bowl is beautiful – who wouldn’t want to gobble that right up?? If only I could get myself to eat more smoothies in the winter…

February 12, 2015

Thank you Alanna! Now that I’m back in Toronto (brrr!) I’ve been having less smoothies, but I definitely had my fill while I was in Hong Kong- it was so warm there! Now I’m all about the tea and soup!

7. Francesca
    February 3, 2015

This is insanely gorgeous and I bet super delish!

February 12, 2015

Thank you Francesca! It really was super tasty ;)

8. Farrah
    February 3, 2015

I kept wanting to make myself like dragonfruit when I was in HK, because it looks so cool and I love the name, but it just always tasted kinda bland to me. This looks so amazing though! Gonna have to give it a try again! ;P

February 12, 2015

I’ve had some pretty bland tasting ones too, but this one tasted phenomenal! Was it in season when you tried it? I hope you stumble upon a juicy, tasty one the next time you get a chance to try it!

9. Rebecca
    February 3, 2015

This is so beautiful!

10. Emily @ Zen & Spice
    February 3, 2015

This is SO PRETTY! Makes me want to dive right in :) I wonder if Sprouts has dragon fruit?? I will need to find asap!

February 12, 2015

Thank you Emily! If you have trouble finding it, try Chinatown or your local Chinese supermarket. They might carry a variety of it, although it might not be red-fleshed. Good luck!

11. Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits
    February 3, 2015

This bowl looks absolutely gorgeous, Genevieve!

Hong Kong was definitely one of my favorite places to visit, especially because of the food. I went there during the summer, so I could have done without the oppressive humidity. But otherwise, it was such a great refuge from the mainland!

February 12, 2015

Thank you Lisa! And oooooh that humidity… I know exactly how you feel about that, haha.

12. Arman @ thebigmansworld
    February 3, 2015

You make me crave a trip to Hong Kong- I love the story behind it all!

As for this recipe…The colours….The colours are incredible. I love dragon fruit (and lychees) so this needs to be made!

February 12, 2015

Hong Kong is close-ish to Australia, so the next time I’m there we gotta make it happen! Think of all the food adventures we’ll have :)

13. Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    February 3, 2015

i dont care too much about the taste of dragon fruit but its color is too pretty! i love how you used them in this smoothiebowl

14. Ariana
    February 5, 2015

I tried dragon fruit a few years ago and wasn’t a huge fan of it. It didn’t really taste like anything…not good, not bad…just not like anything! I wonder if that was just a one-off? Because this looks totally delicious and I really want to give it a shot again!

February 12, 2015

I’ve had some bland dragon fruits, too, but this one was super tasty! Was it in season when you tried it? If not, maybe give it another go when it’s in season. A bland dragon fruit would probably also work in this smoothie because of the mango and banana, but a tasty one is definitely the preferable option :P Good luck finding delicious dragon fruit- it really is delicious!

15. Sonali- The Foodie Physician
    February 5, 2015

This so beautiful- food art at its best! Not to mention, delicious and nutritious! Pinning now :)

16. Mel
    February 6, 2015

Such a pretty colour. I want to dye my clothes in it.

17. Blood Orange Immunity Smoothie | gratitude and greens
    February 12, 2015

[…] The next morning, I blended the ingredients together, and I realized there had been a very good reason for my smoothie dreams: it was oh-my-gosh delicious and is the best blood orange smoothie ever. OF ALL TIME. I know we are in the midst of winter and a smoothie is probably the last thing you want to sip on, but this smoothie is perfect for beating the winter blahs and is a nice switch-up from good ol’ turmeric tea. It’s filled with Vitamin C, anthocyanins, and turmeric’s immune boosting properties. I’ve written about the health benefits of turmeric numerous times so I won’t go into it today, but you can read all about how wonderful turmeric is for our immune system here. You can also read about anthocyanins, which are responsible for bright red, purple, and blue hues in fruits and veggies, here. […]

18. Belinda
    February 12, 2015

This makes me miss Hong Kong so much–great post!

19. Ashlae
    February 12, 2015

Forgot to tell you, I made this smoothie bowl and put it in my Nalgene to enjoy on the farm a few mornings ago. Planned on insta-directing you a picture until I realized my phone was buried beneath layers of clothing in my overalls.. and I couldn’t resist the deliciousness to bother trying to get it out.

February 12, 2015

Ashlae, I am such a big fan of your blog, thank you for stopping by! I am in love with your coconut oil pie crust (among all your other recipes) and I think I’ve converted my boyfriend’s entire family, too.
      I’ve been living vicariously through your travels- I really enjoyed reading Well Traveled Couple when you and Thom were going around in Europe! I lived in Scotland for four years and your photos are so beautiful, makes my heart ache for Scotland so much… I hope you share a post on Morocco soon! I’m so glad to know that this smoothie bowl has the Oh, Ladycakes kiss of approval!

20. My Sweet Husky & Smoothie Bowls | Two Vegan Babies
    May 4, 2015

[…] After my walk I was feeling so good and energized that I was inspired to make myself one of those colorful smoothie bowls that are always in my Instagram timeline. I started with a recipe from Gratitude & Greens for a Red Dragon Fruit, Mango, and Banana smoothie bowl and it came out wonderfully http://www.gratitudeandgreens.com/2015/02/02/red-dragon-fruit-mango-and-banana-smoothiebowl/#! […]

21. plasterers bristol
    May 13, 2015

yum yum this look delicious, thanks for posting up this recipe.

Simon