Almond Butter Brownies With Sea Salt

Last week I purchased a copy of Amy Chaplin’s new cookbook At Home In The Whole Food Kitchen. The evening I brought the book home, I sat on the couch, devouring page after page of her gorgeous plant-based, whole food creations. With the first part of the book dedicated entirely to how we can best use ingredients for optimum taste and nutrition, At Home In The Whole Food Kitchen is one of the best informative cookbooks I’ve had the pleasure of reading. When I invited friends over for dinner this week, I decided to share some recipes from her book by cooking from it. I had a fantastic evening filled with much-needed laughter and great company. I would be lying, however, if I said that the food didn’t play a role in how wonderfully the evening turned out: we devoured banana bread, fruit, and rosé that my friends brought, along with all the food I made. I made Amy’s simple green salad with tangy hemp seed dressing, topped with her marinated beets; roasted fall vegetable cannellini bean stew with spelt berries and kale; and for dessert, her almond butter brownies with sea salt.

almond butter brownies // gratitude and greens // #vegan #dessert #chocolate #recipe

The brownies, in particular, were a big hit. My boyfriend and sister have been devouring the extra brownies, and my friend Jen, who isn’t normally a brownie fan, loved them! So, here are some almond butter brownies for you, courtesy of the very talented Amy Chaplin. These brownies are free of refined sugar and are loaded with protein from the almond butter.* They are also absolutely delicious!

*Two tablespoons of almond butter provides 6.7 grams of protein.

At Home In The Whole Food Kitchen by Amy Chaplin

• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 cup toasted almonds
  • sea salt flakes

almond butter brownies with sea salt // gratitude and greens

1. Place the dates in a medium bowl and soak with boiling water for 20 minutes, or until softened. Once softened, drain the dates.
  2. Preheat the oven to 175ºC/350ºF. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
  3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder into the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir to combine the ingredients.
  4. In a food processor, blend the almond butter, olive oil, maple syrup, maple sugar, almond milk, salt, vanilla, and softened dates until smooth.
  5. Slowly pour the liquid mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients, using either a rubber spatula or a stand mixer to combine the two.
  6. Set two tablespoons of the chopped chocolate aside, and pour the rest into the batter. Be careful not to overmix.
  7. Pour the batter into the baking tray and spread evenly. Top with the chocolate that you set aside, the toasted almonds, and a large pinch of sea salt flakes.
  8. Bake for 30 minutes. The edges should pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick should come out clean.
  9. Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to cool completely. They taste best when they have been refrigerated and are served warm. Alternatively, you can also serve them warm with a drizzle of coconut cream.

Enjoy : )

almond butter brownies with sea salt // gratitude and greens

The brownies will keep for three to four days in an airtight container in the fridge. I imagine these brownies would also be delicious with hazelnuts and hazelnut butter instead of almonds and almond butter : )

Recipe from At Home In The Whole Food Kitchen by Amy Chaplin.

What’s your favourite brownie recipe, or your favourite chocolate dessert? Or favourite chocolate combination?

Gen

stay updated! follow me on facebooktwitterpinterestinstagramtumblr and even bloglovin’

more chocolate recipes:
frozen banana bites by never homemaker
no bake chocolate macaroons by oh she glows
raw vegan chocolate mousse by gratitude and greens

1. Amina | PAPER/PLATES
    October 27, 2014

These look so inviting!

2. Julie @ Run Away Freckles
    October 27, 2014

Brownies are by far my favourite sweet treat. I love all brownies. These look amazing. I just bought some almond butter for another recipe and may have to try these out!

October 27, 2014

Thanks Julie! I hope you get to try this recipe out and that you’ll fall in love with them like I did! :D

October 27, 2014

Decadent and beautiful! ;)

4. Anne|Craving Something Healthy
    October 27, 2014

These look positively amazing! Beautiful photos – pinned :)

5. Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    October 27, 2014

Oh my goodness these look absolutely divine. Your photography is gorgeous too! Chocolate + sea salt over everything!

October 27, 2014

Thank you Cassie! If I ever make it to San Francisco I’ll be sure to bring some of these brownies with me ;)

6. Danielle Omar -- Food Confidence RD
    October 27, 2014

I have been wanting to get this cookbook, I hear it’s fabulous! These brownies look amazing!

October 27, 2014

The cookbook is AMAZING! I couldn’t recommend it more. I’ve been raving about it to everyone!

7. Katie @ 24 Carrot Life
    October 27, 2014

Oh my these look amazing and I love that they use almond butter and spelt flour!

October 27, 2014

Thank you Katie! I seriously consider these brownies good for me, just because it’s filled with all the good stuff. Not going to lie, I’ve had a few for breakfast :P

8. Arman @ thebigmansworld
    October 28, 2014

‘My boyfriend and sister have been devouring the extra brownies’

….Who has ever got extra brownies! ;)

These look amazing and your pictures are amazing.

9. Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl
    October 28, 2014

I LOVE your addition of almond butter to brownies! That sounds like a fabulous combination :)

10. Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits
    October 28, 2014

These brownies look so decadent and lovely! I also love the addition of star anise in your drink!

11. Leigha @ The Yooper Girl
    October 28, 2014

These look amazing!! I bet they are super rich without having a ton of oil and butter. Love the addition of spelt flour, I’ve been wanting to try that!

12. GiGi Eats
    October 28, 2014

Almond Butter and Brownie…….. WHERE DO I SIGN UP!?

13. Jessie
    October 28, 2014

I’d be honored to have a friend like you – especially since you whip up delicious brownies for dessert :) Thanks for sharing the recipe too btw!

14. Temi
    October 30, 2014

My mouth is watering. That dinner party sounds wonderful and those brownies look divine! My favourite chocolate recipe has to be avocado chocolate mouse in my raw chocolate tarts :): http://temilasade.com/2014/05/13/raw-chocolate-tarts/ xo

15. Dietitian Debbie
    October 30, 2014

Those brownies look incredible! I think I need to buy that cookbook ASAP. Seriously can’t wait to make these!

16. Jocelyn@Brucrewlife
    November 1, 2014

These look crazy good!! And your photos are just beautiful! :)

17. Recipe Redux: Tahini Brownies With Smoked Sea Salt | gratitude and greens
    January 22, 2015

[…] brownies are very similar to the almond butter and sea salt brownies I shared from Amy Chaplin’s book a few months ago. I slightly adapted her recipe, using […]

18. Smoked Sea Salt and Maple Almond Butter + The Health Benefits Of Almonds | gratitude and greens
    March 27, 2015

[…] almond butter brownies with sea salt from gratitude and greens […]