Recipe Redux: Mango Raspberry Kombucha Mocktail

mango raspberry kombucha cocktail // gratitude and greens // #vegan #plantbased #healthy #kombucha #recipe

I normally don’t post two days in a row, but today is Recipe Redux day! This month’s theme is A Spirited Redux:

From plain Jane vanilla extract to fancy-pants elderflower liqueur, we like to keep a little liquor in the kitchen. Show us how you like to cook, bake or mix-it-up with spirits, extracts and other alcohols. A splash of vodka makes summer sauces shine – and liqueurs brighten desserts: What’s your healthy recipe with spirit?

There was a time in high school when I found bars, clubs, and alcoholic beverages very exciting. As silly as it sounds, the prospect of being able to drink made sixteen year old me feel like I could be one of the classy ladies I saw on television- you know, Carrie from Sex and the City, or the glamorous teenagers on Gossip Girl. My very first experiences with alcohol weren’t very great, and a night where I had a drink rarely ended well. Drinking makes me feel very hot and flushed, my heart beat extremely rapidly, and my body feels physically uncomfortable. For some reason, I thought everyone experienced the same thing when they had alcohol, but I was wrong: only those with Asian flush do! I always thought the terms ‘Asian glow’ or ‘Asian flush’ were used to describe the intense blush I got when I consumed alcohol. Recently, however, I found out that Asian flush is a phenomenon that effects not just the glow of my skin, but occurs on a much deeper level within my body. As it turns out, numerous individuals of Asian descent are unable to process alcohol, as we lack a liver enzyme (ALDH2) necessary to do so.

Within the human body, alcohol is processed by two enzymes: alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH). ADH helps to convert alcohol to the carcinogenic substance acetaldehyde, which is then converted by ALDH into acetate. ALDH2 is a mutated form of ALDH, making it difficult for me, and everyone else who has Asian flush, to convert the acetaldehyde into acetate. The result? A flushed face, racing heartbeat, and nausea. As I mentioned above, acetaldehyde is carcinogenic. This, unfortunately, means that those who drink often despite lacking the enzyme to do so are at an increased risk of developing esophageal cancer. I will occasionally indulge in a very small serving of wine or beer, but it takes me an astonishingly long time (an hour, maybe an hour and a half) to finish 1/3 of a pint without experiencing the effects of Asian flush.

Since I seldom drink, I decided not to invest in an entire bottle of alcohol for this month’s theme. In keeping with the spirit of the theme, I came up with a mocktail recipe involving one of my favourite beverages: kombucha! What better time to enjoy a mocktail than during the summer? This recipe is lazy and easy, and perfect for a sunny summer afternoon.

Why drink kombucha? Kombucha is a fermented tea that has been around for 2000 years. It is slightly sweet, a little bit sour, and is carbonated. It is made by adding SCOBY, a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast, to sweetened tea. Due to its fermented nature, kombucha has significant levels of healthy bacteria. Lauren from The Holy Kale writes, “Much like yogurt, kefir or sauerkraut, it [kombucha] contains live strains of good cultures that help to re-populate the intestine. This is important because it is the good bacteria in the digestive system that protects you from the bad guys that lead to illness. These bacteria work the same way that probiotics do, which are key to a healthy immune system. This is where kombucha and other fermented foods are so important and effect.” Kombucha is also high in B vitamins and organic acids that promote immune system and help the liver detox. For a more detailed discussion of kombucha’s health benefits, check out my sources below.

Note: This is not a product placement post. I just love kombucha from Synergy!

Mango Raspberry Kombucha Mocktail
Yields one serving

• 1 cup Synergy Mystic Mango kombucha
  • 1 cup coconut water
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup mango chunks or mango purée
  • 1/2 cup raspberry chunks or raspberry purée
  • maple syrup or agave to sweeten, if desired

1. Pour the kombucha, coconut water, and lemon juice into a large glass.
2. Chop the fruit into chunks, or purée in a food processor.
3. Add the fruit to the liquid.
4. I didn’t feel the need to sweeten my drink, but if you prefer a sweeter beverage, add some maple syrup or agave.

Enjoy : )

Gen

Sources: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

stay updated! follow me on facebooktwitterpinterestinstagramtumblr and even bloglovin’

1. Farrah
    July 22, 2014

I’ve been wanting to try out kombucha, and this pretty much makes that curiosity a necessity. This looks amazing!

July 23, 2014

Thanks Farrah! It was pretty tasty, if I do say so myself :P

2. Rachael@AnAvocadoADay
    July 22, 2014

Love that huge glass! I would probably guzzle this in about two seconds flat!

July 23, 2014

Thanks Rachel! And that’s exactly what I did :D

3. Sarah Pie
    July 22, 2014

Kombucha in a mocktail, now why didn’t I think of that! This looks perfectly refreshing for summer :)

July 23, 2014

Thanks Sarah! It’s probably my favourite mocktail ever.

4. Meme @ Living Well Kitchen
    July 22, 2014

Oh how delicious and simple!! I love how there’s no added sugar thanks to the fruit & coconut water. Great recipe :)

July 23, 2014

Thanks Meme! I love sweet food and drinks, but I actually have a very low tolerance for how sweet something is. I don’t like things that are overly sweet, but this mocktail strikes the perfect balance and I love it!

5. Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily
    July 22, 2014

I love Kombucha! I was given a SCOBY to start my own Kombucha several months ago and have been enjoying it ever since. I just love your summer fruity mocktail!

July 23, 2014

Thanks Gwen! And oh you lucky girl! I’m hoping to hunt down a SCOBY so I can start making my own kombucha instead of buying it.

6. Thalia @ butter and brioche
    July 23, 2014

i have never tried kombucha before! i think i definitely am missing out on something great. looks delicious.

July 23, 2014

Thanks Thalia! You should definitely try it. I think kombucha is an acquired taste for some people, but it’s really quite delicious once you get used to it!

7. Danielle Omar - Food Confidence RD
    July 23, 2014

This looks awesome! I love kombucha…even though I can’t open a bottle without it fizzing over the top and all over me! ;-)

July 25, 2014

That happens to me sometimes too! I’ve gotten used to opening it at an arm’s length away from me and if possible, over a sink :P

8. Carrie
    July 23, 2014

LOVE Synergy Kombucha tea! I always get the guava flavor, but will have to try this one. Great idea!

July 25, 2014

I’ve never tried the guava one, will definitely try it the next time I see it!

9. Dianna Sinni
    July 24, 2014

I love this! I’m mustering up the courage to ferment my own at home. Just got a SCOBY from a friend! xo Dianna

July 25, 2014

Oooo good luck! I’m hoping to make my own at some point in the future, too. Just need a reliable SCOBY source!

10. Cindys Recipes and Writings
    July 24, 2014

Genevieve Kombucha is now on my must try list!

11. Rebecca
    July 24, 2014

YUM! This sounds like an excellent mocktail! I’ll have to try it soon :)

12. Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits
    July 24, 2014

I love kombucha, but I’ve never tried the mango flavor before. Must try this soon!

13. Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits
    July 24, 2014

I’ve never had mango kombucha before. Need to try this recipe soon!

14. The Best Bloody Mary, Ever | gratitude and greens
    August 6, 2014

[…] to ask if I would post a Bloody Mary recipe on my blog. Those of you who read my Mango Raspberry Kombucha Mocktail post will know I don’t drink very often, but I was beyond flattered that one of my favourite […]

15. 10 Summer Mocktails We Love - Happy Body Formula
    June 9, 2016

[…] If you’ve got a fresh brew of kombucha handy, or even storebought, you’re halfway to a fancy schmancy mocktail already. In fact, you don’t have to add much more if you don’t want to. This recipe takes it up a notch with creamy fruit purees for added sweetness and texture with natural hydration from coconut water. Get your probiotics in with this fizzy drink from Gratitude and Greens. […]